Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cemeteries of the future

After reading a article yesterday I found on line I began to wonder what will the future cemetery look like? We are running out of land, more and more people are being cremated and not even having stones. How will the genealogist of tomorrow be able to have the opportunity to search through cemeteries like we enjoy today, looking for that elusive ancestor.

One of the web sites we looked at had this cold impersonal tall sky scrapper style building that was a mausoleum.

One of my favorite ways to spend a nice summer day is to wonder through a cemetery wondering about the people buried there who were they? What was their life like?

I know it has become a problem especially in bigger cities but my mind and heart does not always agree. I still visit my Great Great Great Grandparents graves and put flowers on them out of respect.

I guess only time will tell. First they say no homemade headstones, then there is no place to put people when they pass on. My husband does not understand why this saddens me it makes sense to him he wants to cremated. The poor man he just looks at me shakes his head when he is the one that doesn't understand. It is another tradition that we are loosing. But at least he still goes with me and tries to understand I have to give him credit for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment